In the modern world, more and more people are facing the problem of diabetes, which makes the body highly susceptible to a variety of diseases – from heart disease and stroke to blindness and gangrene. Being an incurable disease, diabetes can occur without complications with the right lifestyle. If you follow certain rules, you have a good chance of avoiding unpleasant and dangerous consequences and living a fulfilling life.
Diabetes and its consequences
The disease is characterized by persistently elevated blood sugar levels, known as hyperglycemia. In most cases, it develops slowly is difficult to detect, and is accompanied by minor illnesses. Therefore, diabetes is sometimes discovered only after complications develop. To avoid this from happening, you need to have your blood sugar tested regularly (at least once a year) as you approach old age. If blood sugar is consistently higher than normal (5.5 mmol/l), there is a risk of diabetes. In this case, the endocrinologist will conduct additional studies and take steps to prevent or treat the disease based on the findings.
Prompt detection of disease can minimize the risk of disease, which if not treated in time can affect:
- small blood vessels, which can lead to retinopathy and blindness, kidney and neurological disorders;
- Large blood vessels (carotid and coronary arteries, lower extremity arteries), lead to stroke, heart disease, and serious leg problems.
- Joints (pain, impaired mobility) and human psychology (irritability, depression) are also affected.
Diagnosis: How to spot diabetes before it’s too late?
DM can go undetected for years. Patients consult their doctor when they discover the disease accidentally (under examination for some reason) or when complications develop. At the same time, early diagnosis and initiation of treatment are extremely important.
Don’t wait for symptoms to appear! The diagnosis of diabetes is made using laboratory methods. Measure blood sugar levels and other indicators. We discuss this in more detail on the channel. Let’s move on to the main question – what is important in therapy?
What are the important factors in treating diabetes to avoid complications?
We will not talk about protocols and drugs for the treatment of diabetes – they must be prescribed individually by a doctor for each patient, and the treatment itself must be carried out under the supervision of a specialist.
Diabetes treatment must be comprehensive! In addition to medication, steps are needed to reduce weight and blood sugar levels. When taking prescription medications, the following measures are effective:
- Take classes with psychologists and nutritionists to develop correct eating habits (if you have diabetes, you will have to give up many foods) and normalize eating behaviors (usually, the problem of overeating cannot be solved on its own);
- Physical Activity – Any #sport and activity will be better than absent. If you find it difficult to exercise independently or in a health club for a variety of reasons (excess weight, chronic illness, joint problems, age), physical therapy may be available. Sessions are safe – they are conducted according to individually developed plans and under the ongoing supervision of doctors and sports therapy coaches;
- Master anti-stress skills and learn how to cope with stress and depression.
Interesting! Doctors have discovered a link between cortisol (the stress hormone) levels and blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. Depression, frequent and severe experiences, increases the risk of diabetes.
Was it helpful? There are good reasons to answer – yes! Many physicians in the United States, Europe, and Russia recognize that as weight normalizes, it is possible to reduce or even abandon antidiabetic therapy. There is a reason to work hard for yourself!
How to avoid complications?
An integrated approach will also help address this issue. People with diabetes need to consult a doctor regularly and get check-ups from cardiologists, ophthalmologists, and other relevant specialists. This is necessary to understand the risk of certain complications and to note them in the preclinical stage (before obvious symptoms appear). This way you can start treatment on time and slow the progression of lesions or eliminate them.
We conclude that diabetes is a serious disease that can affect anyone. The key to successful treatment or minimizing risk is a comprehensive approach. Don’t wait for complications to happen, prevent them by Explore diabetes care products online to effectively manage this condition.