The apex bank of India, RBI, has again reiterated the fact that they are going to have an “accommodative stance” and a dear money policy, thereby keeping the repo rate at 4% for the ninth time. The slash in RBI’s key policy rate subsequently brings down the lending rate, proving highly beneficial to loan borrowers.
The current home loan interest rates start from 6.65% p.a., attributing to the meteoric rise in the demand for this financial product in India.
Current home loan interest rate in India
To revive and mitigate the impact of this recent health crisis, the Reserve Bank of India has decided to keep the key policy rates unchanged. The unchanged repo rate is considered a boon for borrowers as they can reap the benefits of the prevailing low-interest rate regime. Resultantly, the rate of interest on offer for a housing credit in this country now ranges from 6.4% to 13.50%, depending on the financial institution one opts for.
RBI’s decision to keep the repo rate at 4% and the reverse repo rate at 3.35% has significantly boosted India’s economy. The reduction in repo rate has a massive impact on this country’s real estate sector. In coherence with RBI’s stance, the home loan interest rate also lowered, thereby raising the demand for home loans all across this country.
Apart from reaping the advantages of current housing loan lower interest rates, borrowers must consider factors that affect this rate and plan accordingly.
Factors affecting home loan interest rate
To make borrowing affordable, borrowers must glance through these following factors that affect interest rates applicable on a housing loan:
- Credit score: Credit score has a significant impact on home loan interest rate. It suggests the creditworthiness of a borrower. Debtors with a credit score of 750 and above are likely to negotiate a lower interest rate on the loan amount. In contrast, a person with a subpar CIBIL score will be offered a higher interest rate as the lenders will consider them high-risk borrowers.
In this regard, borrowers must know how to check CIBIL score to help them fetch affordable interest rates.
- Type of interest rate: Borrowers must choose the type of interest rate to make the borrowing cost-effective. Lending institutions offer two types of interest rates: Fixed and floating interest rates. Borrowers who want certainty can go for a fixed interest rate as it is not affected by any economic conditions. Alternatively, floating interest will help borrowers benefit from the changes in the repo rate. In this regard, borrowers can use a home loan EMI calculator to choose a suitable interest type.
- Meeting home loan eligibility: Fulfilling the stipulated eligibility parameters is another way to negotiate a lower interest rate on a home loan. In this regard, borrowers can use an online eligibility calculator to calculate home loan eligibility and plan accordingly.
Moving ahead, borrowers can check their pre-approved offers extended by leading financial institutions on financial products like home loans, loans against property etc. These offers expedite the loan application process and save time. Applicants can check their pre-approved offers by entering their name and contact details and avail best home loan options at competitive interest rates.
Ways to reduce the home loan interest rate
Apart from considering the factors that affect housing loan interest rates, borrowers must lookout for ways to reduce the home loan interest rates –
- Make regular prepayments: Making regular prepayments when in possession of funds will reduce the principal amount that will help bring down the interest rate burden.
- Opting for a shorter loan duration: Opting for a shorter repayment tenor will increase the EMI amount; however, the overall interest outgo will be curbed to a great extent.
- Going for home loan balance transfer: Borrowers can shift their loan amount to a new lender offering a competitive interest rate if they find that they are paying a higher interest rate to their current lender.
- Paying more down payment: The higher one pays as a down payment, the lower the loan amount, which reduces the lending risk and allows an individual to negotiate a better deal.
Furthermore, comparing interest online and shifting from the fixed interest rate to opting floating interest rate will help one to cut down on the interest payment. Borrowers can also enjoy home loan tax benefit and claim tax exemption on the interest paid on a loan amount.
To sum up, a home loan has become an effective financial solution to purchase a property. This is primarily due to the fact that current home loan interest rate is affordable, which helps to keep the total borrowing cost low and easily manageable.