Testing before you buy has always been a planned strategy. The same idea goes for employing people. In today’s world of all access, everyone to anyone can have anything they want.
From fake foreign universities degrees and certificate courses termed as full-time degrees to multi-skilled certification, you name it, and their deceptive resumes have it.
For all these reasons, employee background verification in India has become a priority. There are several companies all over the world practicing this while hiring. Several agencies are engaged in this field to provide authentic background verification services.
This article will give you comprehensive knowledge about employee background verification and how it is carried out.
What is the meaning of an employee background verification in India?
It is a thorough screening process of the employee’s background to check the suitability for their company. They can conduct this process themselves or hire companies to do the same.
In this, the employer checks the candidate’s work history, academic certificates, legal records, employment history, and more with the help of AI-driven technologies.
What is the need for this background check of the employees?
The process of a background check is essential while working for any company, as they share and operate with multiple sensitive data and information. They can’t risk the security and privacy of their companies.
The importance of conducting background screening are-
- To check the employee’s personal and professional credibility.
- To check for any financial crime/fraud in the past
- To eliminate the risk of dealing with fake/fraudulent organizations or individuals.
- Saving time and money for the company in the long run.
- To protect the company against reputational damage.
- By providing a safe and trusted work environment.
How does an employee background verification in India take place?
It’s a broad way to proceed as different companies in India perform background checks in various ways.
- Big corporate companies tend to hire agencies who dedicate their work in the field of background screening.
- Small and medium businesses have their respective HR teams to work it out.
- Government sectors or Public sector undertakings (PSUs) execute an extensive employee screening process before hiring.
How to conduct background verification in India?
EEOC has set strict rules that companies need to give attention to-
- The company must mention its background verification process in its written policies if it is mandatory for recruitment.
- The candidate must know in writing about the background check.
- The candidate also must provide written consent for the same.
Companies lookout for the following details before hiring-
All the verification processes can happen remotely with advanced tech products, and their solutions make it possible to check all the steps digitally with maximum accuracy.
- Educational Records- The companies recheck the educational background given by the candidate. They may reach out to the institutions to verify what they have provided.
- Work history- This section includes the candidate’s workplace history, dates worked with them, role in each company, payroll, performance history, behavioural conduct in the company, and more.
This step is crucial as onboarding the wrong employee without proper verification can be damaging. Because of the fear of these, along with some compliance policies, require screening, KYC, and vendor due-diligence practices.
- Address verification- This sets the authentication of the candidate’s existence. The background checking company will verify all the addresses given by the candidate. They may re-confirm it with your neighbours and family members.
- Criminal records- This section ensures the safety and security of the company and its other employees. It helps eliminate the chance of any future fraudulent activities and threats to the company.
Even the Government of India is pushing hard to restraint such activities by introducing some identification systems-
- Aadhaar Card– contains all the essential background details about an Indian citizen, right from address proof to biometrics. Moreover, every official document and bank account are linked with it.
- National Academics Depository (NAD) – digitally stores educational records from every education board and institution of India.
- National Skills Registry (NSR)– is a database comprising information about the working professionals making fact-checking accessible for every company.
- Credit checks- Some companies do check the candidate’s credit score. But it requires the candidate’s written permission to do so. It also helps to verify the vendor due diligence, as it is good to be aware of the situation to avoid any financial risks from the onboarding vendors.
- Social media- Nowadays, companies also check social media as it has become the most relevant tool for verifying the personal preferences and credibility of the candidate.
In today’s virtual world, it is an essential requirement to check the reliability and authentication of the candidate before entering any company. Employee background verification in India is helping companies build a much more trusted and secure workforce.
On top of it, companies in this field are providing very convenient products and solutions to make this tedious process much more feasible, even digitally.